Waring Pro DF280 Professional Deep Fryer Review
I love the delicious crunch of fried foods. Fried chicken, mozzarella sticks, French fries, fried zucchini. I love it all. But eating out takes a big chunk out of my budget that I’d rather be spending on other things. So I fry at home, but stovetop frying gets messy and it’s hard to judge the temperature of the oil. So I finally broke down and bought a fryer with some bonus money and let me just say that it was one of the best decisions I’ve made in the kitchen. The Waring Pro DF280 Professional Deep Fryer is my absolute favorite kitchen gadget!
big boss oil less fryer
The design makes it stand out from any other Oil-Less Fryer availableCheck Latest Price
Waring Pro DF280 Professional Deep Fryer
1800-watt 2.3 lb. food capacity
One of the Best Deep Fryer with unique features.
Why do I love it so much?
Frying takes so much less time than baking. I can have meals ready faster and with less cleanup than baking. I can put the baskets right into the dishwasher. When was the last time you managed to fit a baking sheet into your dishwasher and still got everything to come clean? I thought so.
With the Waring Pro DF280, I get the option of a big basket or two smaller baskets for my frying needs. So that means if it’s just me, or just me and my husband, I can make a main dish and a side dish at the same time.
How does it work?
The Waring Pro DF280 has an immersion heating element, which is great because it heats up quickly and keeps the oil at a constant temperature. It has a removable gallon-sized oil container, with a pouring spout/lip! That means less mess when it comes to draining and straining your oil for storage.
How does it compare?
The Waring Pro DF280 is mid-range price, and well worth it. This model is in the under $250 range. True, you can get fryers for around $30, but they tend to be very small and cheap, and often don’t reach the desired temperature. There are plenty of more expensive models out there as well. The DeLonghi ranges upwards of $300 and isn’t necessarily worth the extra money.
- Fast and convenient cooking
- Digital readout shows you exactly what the temperature is as it’s heating
- Ready indicator light when oil reaches set temperature
- 3 baskets to make frying anything easy
- Easy to assemble and clean
- Baskets and lid are dishwasher safe
- Oil pan comes out to filter and clean
- Only 2.3 lb food capacity, so no whole chickens or turkeys
- Does not have a drain or true spout for pouring out oil
- Does not have a filter
- Controls are at the back of the unit, rather than in front where you would have less chance of being burned
- Immersion element is somewhat finicky to install, will not heat if not installed just right (a safety feature, I assume)
- Basket length is slightly less than 12”, so if you are frying something bigger than that and it can’t go on the diagonal within the basket, you’ll run into difficulty
Features of the Waring Pro DF280 Professional Deep Fryer
- Digital temperature display
- 1800 watt immersion heating element
- Cover with window to check on foods as they cook
- Removable gallon oil tank
- Digital 60 minute timer
- Ready indicator light and alarm
- 2.3 lb food capacity
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Q. Is the fryer coated with Teflon or other nonstick material?
Ans. No, this fryer is not made with nonstick materials. It is made of durable stainless steel. However, if you make a habit of wiping it down as soon as it is cool and not letting the oil sit where it has splattered, it is very easy to clean. Also, the oil basin is removable to make it much easier to clean. Just take it out, pour out the oil and give it a scrub in the sink.
Q. What is the highest temperature setting?
Ans. This model, like most home fryers, has a max temperature of 375 degrees. However, that is the maximum temperature for most fried foods to avoid burning.
Q. The label says “professional”, can it be used commercially?
Ans. No, this is not intended for commercial use. However, it does provide professional quality in your own home on a small scale.
Q. Can you use solid lard or shortening?
Ans. No, because this is an immersion style heating element, it needs to be immersed in whatever oil source you are using. Lard and shortening have a low smoke point, and would not completely cover the heating element while melting, which could cause damage. Using these solids would also pose a fire threat.
The Waring Pro DF280 professional deep fryer is a really decent appliance for the money. It performs well for most households, as long as you don’t expect to fry a whole chicken or turkey all at once. Cook everything from donuts and fritters to catfish, chicken, and shrimp. Some customers complained that the metal is thin, however, have not found this to be a problem as it does not heat the counter surface on which it is set, and probably even helps the oil to heat faster. For the price, it’s a fantastic and reliable buy.